Saturday, August 18, 2007

SECOND PENTECOST

In Bishop Paul Kim's Pastoral Letter of Easter 1999, he speaks of the Second Pentecost. He says that, when Pope John XXIII received a revelation regarding the unhappy state of the Church, that it needed reform, the Pope convoked the Second Vatican Council. As it opened, Pope John prayed that the Holy Spirit would renew the Church in a manner similar to the first Pentecost. I knew that one of the Popes had referred to a Second Pentecost, but I didn't know that it was Pope John XXIII. Nor did I know that he had received a private revelation about the state of the Church. Does anyone reading this blog have more information about this alleged revelation that the Pope received?

The other question that I am puzzling about is the new era of holiness of which John Haffert writes in his book, Deadline, The Third Secret of Fatima. Although he writes that this "new and divine holiness" first started in the seventeenth century, I wonder if these words do not also refer to the Second Pentecost? Comments on this subject would be appreciated.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How often do Popes receive private revelations? Do all Popes receive them?

Edna said...

Dave,

That's a good question. I don't know the answer! I haven't read the lives of the Popes because their lives seemed so different from my life and the lives of my peers. But I will check it out now that you have raised the question. As a preliminary, in my next blog entry I will discuss how the words 'private revelations' are defined by the Catholic Church, particularly since they seem to have had so many such revelations down through the last 2,000 years!